Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Coolest Job in Music

Movies and music go hand-in-hand if I am the one who gets to make the call. The right song at the right moment can make all of the world of difference in how you feel towards a character or react to what's going on in a particular scene. Ryan Phillippe waits for Reese Witherspoon at the top of the escalator in Cruel Intentions and "Color Blind" by the Counting Crows drags you into the moment, allowing you to share that intense, emotional meeting that is a turning point in the entire film. Same with the first time Natalie Portman and Zach Braff meet in Garden State and she changes his entire life with one Shins song or the closing scene of Fight Club where Edward Norton and Helena Bonham Carter have front row seats to the apocalypse, his face half blown off, buildings collapsing around them all to the beat of the Pixies "Where is My Mind." That Pixies tune is the only one on the whole soundtrack not written and produced by the Dust Brothers and has become synonymous with the movie itself. There are so many more songs that define movies that I could write a daily blog about a different one for a year.

Music can dramatically altar everything in your life, and never more so than in a movie, if you ask me. Gonna try a new thing this week and add links as we go. Disregard the subtitles if you would.






What I have started to become more cognizant of, though, as I consume movies is the trailers. I mean, yes, I have always loved them and then once I had friends who were in the business of turning movies into trailers, I found out the level of work it takes to take a two hour film, make it into 3 minutes and don't give away the ending. The job I want now, though, is not that job, but the job of picking the music to accompany the trailer. I feel these guys are doing masterful work picking the right tune to portray the tone of the movie and are really thinking outside the box. My two favorite trailers that fully exemplify this that are out currently are for the upcoming Leonardo DiCaprio flick The Wolf of Wall Street and the Ben Stiller fantasy tale The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I don't know if I love the trailer because they feature songs I really enjoy or what, but I want to see these movies so badly. The former features a really poorly named Kanye West tune "Black Skinhead" and the latter gives us "Dirty Paws" by Of Monsters and Men. I will leave it up to the psychologists in the group to determine what level of Pavlovian response I have had that has made me gravitate towards these two movies in particular and why I can remember their trailers more than any other out right now save Gravity, which is funny given the concept of this blog. Gravity sticks out to me because of it's general lack of music in the trailer save a few piano chords and short violin stroke.

Anyways, enjoy the clips, go see some movies this week, support the artists in your town, turn off the tv and watch some of the iTunes Festival while it's still available for free on your iTunes. Next week is coming in hot with probably 10 album reviews including the second part of Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience, new MGMT, Grouplove, Avicii, Lorde and more! There will also be playlist under the last movie clip of some of my favorite movie songs and songs from movie soundtracks. Thanks as always for your support!




Quick Breakdown:
1. Slow Wave from Pump Up The Volume
2. Stuck in the Middle from Reservoir Dogs
3. Pretty Woman is pretty self-explanatory, no?
4. Tiny Dancer from Almost Famous
5. Afternoon Delight has been in a ton of movies, probably most famously for the Channel 4 News Team's rendition in Anchorman
6. Lookin' Out My Back Door The Big Lebowski
7. In the Air Tonight is another that has been all over the place, but will forever be linked to The Hangover
8. Take My Breath Away from Top Gun
9. And Back to the Future's Power of Love

This is a super quickie list of songs that came to mind as I thought about movies I had seen in the past few months. I'm going to continue to add to this list and if someone knows how to become the guy that puts movie soundtracks together and/or gets to choose the songs for trailers and seminal moments in movies, holla at your boy!!


1 comment:

  1. i think you should do that. i think you should write a daily blog about a movie per day accompanied with a song. do it

    ReplyDelete